Friday, November 6, 2009

Happy 2nd Transplant Day! Sept. 18th

It's hard to believe it's been 2 years since her transplant. I can still feel the anxiety that came along with it and waiting for the marrow to arrive. She also had her only dose of radiation that morning. I remember carrying her to the room and holding her until the sleepy medicine kicked in and then I was whisked away quickly so they could work. It was hard for me not to cry because the room looked so alien-like. There was this giant machine and gadgets everywhere and lots of workers in the room that made me feel fearful of leaving her. I was grateful that Scarlet was put to sleep so quickly and didn't have a chance to look around much. But, really, she was only 5 1/2 months old and probably wouldn't notice if machines looked scary or not. It was just me being a scared mom.
Anyway, we are so grateful for her to be here with us so we celebrate with a BBQ,Dairy Queen Ice Cream cake and lots of family and friends. We are lucky to have so many people close by to celebrate our happy day with.

I asked for red balloons, to symbolize the red marrow she was given. The kids all loved them and they all got a small gift, too. Thanks Amy and Debbie for working that all out. I'm still really bad about doing that.


Scarlet was watching Looney Tunes a bit at the time, I think Charlie has some ulterior motives about making her a cartoon/comic junkie like he was as a kid. I'm on it though, I counteract with lots of princess movies, stories, dresses, and dolls.
Thanks to everyone who came and helped us celebrate our special day with Scarlet Rose.
A giant thank you to Ralf, her donor, for providing for our family and allowing us to still have her in our lives. We are forever grateful and are excited to meet him someday.



2 comments:

rachele and jordan said...

It's crazy that you went through all that when Scarlet was so little. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. I'm glad Scarlet is doing so well now!

charlene adams said...

Katie, I am also so very grateful to Scarlet here among us. What a sweetheart she is. She has brought much joy to all of us in our wards here and is a testament that faithful prayers really are answered. Thank you for sharing her with all of us. We love you Anderson's.