Sunday, September 14, 2008

Final Bone Marrow Draw

You may already know that we spent last week in Seattle for Scarlet's 1 year post-transplant appts. In the above shot Scarlet and Daddy are playing together while we wait for her bone marrow aspiration and skin biopsy at Children's hospital. I remember when we first came to Children's she would wear those blue baby robes which fit her well now but swallowed her before. I wish I could have one to keep. It opens a floodgate of memories seeing them and being in the hospital. Scarlet was a trooper. Babies get anaesthesia before bone marrow draws so she had to be fasting for the procedure. She did so good. Our appt. was for 9am but when we got there they told us 9:30am and we weren't even seen until a little after 10am. Little baby was hungry!
Scarlet had a bone marrow draw a few months ago and she had the same nurse again which was really fun. I like it when they remember Scarlet and play with her. I feel better about leaving her with them. The lady in blue is the anaesthsiologist and you can see her preparing to inject what we call "sleepy milk" into Scarlet's hickman line.
It only takes a few seconds before she falls into a deep sleep. I was able to hold her until she did. They let me take a quick picture and then we needed to leave the room.
We waited in the room next door until they wheeled her tiny sleeping body in. We watched her sleep and Charlie petted her head. A nurse was called in to do vitals every 5 minutes until she woke up. I thought it was a great chance to finally clip her nails! I got one hand done and as soon as I was ready for the second she jumped awake. The nurse warned me about that and cautioned me about clipping her nails and accidentally cutting her if she awoke suddenly. I guess I didn't really believe her. Either way, she was fine, but I only got one hand done.
Each time they do a draw and biopsy it is always on her right bum-cheek. She has a constellation of little scars now which get bigger as she grows. I should have told them to do them in a flower or a heart shape like a little carebear. :)

3 comments:

The Risdons said...

So I'm guessing Scarlet is good since I saw her at church today?

Ashley C said...

Oh my gosh, small world! Nate's old good friend is Kevin Risdon and I just remembered he lives in Wenatchee. I just saw that they posted a comment on here. Crazy. Anyway, I'm glad Scarlet seems to be doing well. She really is such a trooper. She seems like the sweetest little girl.

Ashley C said...

What the heck! You know Mike and Cortnie Potter too? We were good friends with them when Nate did his internship in Bakersfield CA. Wow, crazy.