Sunday, September 28, 2008

September 18th

It was a year ago September 18th that Scarlet had her transplant. I would have blogged on this sooner but a lot has been going on. To celebrate her 1year mark we took her to Sears to have her pictures taken. It was a lot of work trying to get some of them to turn out well and for her to cooperate with us, but as you can see they turned out pretty cute!
Scarlet loves her monkeys. She must have at least 4 of them and most go to bed with her at night. She loves giving them kisses and hugs.
I have been substitute teaching again and I am amazed at how many kids have their own cell phones...Scarlet thinks she needs one too. :) I gave her mine in a desperate ploy to get her to smile; it worked.
I hope we have many more years to celebrate her transplant day. I am starting to feel sick with anxiety waiting for the results to come back. I'm trying so hard not to give up hope and to have enough to faith to get through this.
Scarlet is our sweet angel and I can't imagine not having her with us. While in the hospital with Scarlet, I remembered seeing a mother in one of the small rooms with her son Christian, who was about 17. As I was walking in the halls one day, I remember seeing her crying, and the transplant doctor with her who looked very solemn, talking softly outside their room. I couldn't hear what they were saying and honestly I really didn't want to, at that time Scarlet was still waiting for transplant. It was a little after Thanksgiving and Scarlet and I were at the Ronald McDonald house, when I heard a lot of commotion out in the halls (anybody in the halls altogether was unusual) the family next door was packing up their belongings in big boxes. I watched them load all of their things into their truck and I noticed one in particular that said, "Christian's memories" and it had a smiley face on the box. I can see the box in my mind and it reminds me to make everyday a memory for Scarlet despite my grief and fear.
I am struggling to maintain hope. It is my greatest desire that the doctors call with good news. I keep reading more on myelodsyplastic syndrome and it isn't something that can be supported for very long. Once they start getting blasts (cells that retard good cells) in their blood the chance for survival is very minimal and life expectancy is only months. I talked with Rhonda again on Friday and she told me that there were no blasts in her blood, which is reason to have hope. I'm so afraid for Scarlet.
Please keep praying for her to be ok.



6 comments:

Dickson Family said...

hello my kati...so i read your blog, and i am thinking of you often. sometimes i wish i was closer so i could be there for you as i seems so useless so far away. just know that scarlet is strong, almost as strong as you and yet you continue to amaze me. you have truely been blessed thus far and i know you will continue to be blessed. i hope i get to meet her over the holidays...i am so excited to see you again. did you get my message? anyways call me.

Meg said...

Those pictures of Scarlet are so adorable! So cute with her monkey. We are fasting and praying for her. You guys are in my thoughts all the time.

Fritters said...

These pictures of your baby girl are precious. You are in our prayers.

Ashley C said...

What a cutie! It is SO hard getting a toddler to cooperate, huh? Its a miracle when the pictures turn out well. She looks pretty happy.
I'm so sorry that you are going through so much stress, Kati. I feel so bad about it. I can only imagine the anxiety you're feeling. I pray often for Scarlet. Sometimes its hard knowing that Heavenly Father has a plan that we cannot see or understand. But I hope you feel some peace knowing that so many people are praying for your family and that Heavenly Father is always aware of you. I check your blog often to see what is happening with Scarlet. I want so badly for you to hear some promising news.

J D C and N said...

She looks beautiful! I have yet to get professional pictures of Noah. Oops! Maybe we'll do 18 month ones. :) You are in our prayers.

Kjell Crowe said...

THINKING OF YOU!!!